Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tired




This morning I am very tired and it would be very easy for me to just curl up in my chair and go to sleep.  Do you ever have days when you just want to forget it all and go back to bed and wake up the next day or maybe in a week or two or not at all because you just feel empty and kind of worthless?  Well that is the way I feel today.  I feel like I am in a rut that just gets deeper and deeper all the time with no place to turn and no one who truly understands or really cares.  It seems like the only friends I have are those that want something from me or want me to do something for them.  It seems like I have this heavy weight on my shoulders and I am slowly being crushed with the very life being sucked out of me with every breath I take.

I remember years ago when my wife and I were so far in debt that I felt like I was in this large hole and every time I would get my fingers high enough to pull myself out I would fall back in again in total despair.  Thank the Lord things have gotten much better in that area.  I am also thankful that I have a wife and family that care for me.  It is sad to think that some people don’t even have that to rely on.   Today it seems like it is a personal abyss with no lasting relationships; people rely on their Ipads, Smart Phones and computers so much that there is very little in the way of personal relationships, just more like acquaintances.

I have been a very committed believer for close to thirty five years now, not perfect, but striving in that direction and I used to love to go to church.  But today church is more like a show with all its programs and entertainment and watered down sermons and pious preachers who seem to be more interested in telling stories that make people laugh than they are concerned about people’s souls and the conviction of the Holy Spirit.  It seems far more important to make people feel good than confront them with the Truth.  Today, thousands of people run to hear the inspirational speakers so they can get their fix for the week but the only problem is if they aren’t changed from the inside they will always need that quick fix and always be hungry for change and never achieve it.

Jesus told the woman at the well in Samaria that He would give her living water and she would never thirst again.  The people today need that same living water but all they get is inspired speech to make them feel good about themselves, for the most part, and by the end of the week they need their shot again to start the whole cycle over again.

It says this in John 4:7-14, “A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, ‘Give Me a drink.’ For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, ‘How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?’ For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. Jesus answered and said to her, ‘If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.’ The woman said to Him, ‘Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?’ Jesus answered and said to her, ‘Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.’”

Jesus didn’t just tell her what she wanted to hear, He told her what she needed to hear, which I’m sure would have shocked her coming from a Jew, but this was no ordinary Jewish person, this was the Messiah.  Jesus cut right to the quick when He asked this question and told her things He couldn’t have known unless He was who He claimed to be, found in verses 16-18, “Jesus said to her, ‘Go, call your husband, and come here.’ The woman answered and said, ‘I have no husband.’ Jesus said to her, ‘You have well said, ‘I have no husband,’ for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly.’”

Did you notice, when confronted with her sin she tried to change the conversation, read verses 19-20, “The woman said to Him, ‘Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.’”

When confronted with sin, we can repent, make up an excuse for it or ignore it.  Something must have gotten her attention as Jesus spoke to her with compassion, truth and love, so much so, that she went and shared the things Jesus said with those in Samaria and many believed just because of what she told them, “He told me all that I ever did.”  They were so impressed by her testimony that they went themselves to see Jesus and when they heard Him speak many more believed, saying this in verse 42, “Then they said to the woman, ‘Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.’”

I think there was a revival that day and the people were never the same after that encounter with the Messiah.  The church is in need of a great Holy Spirit revival today.  Remember what the Word says in Psalms 127:1, “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.”
                
I would love to see a real genuine revival take place, where men are stricken by the Holy Spirit and true repentance takes place, where men are moved out of the way and the Spirit of the Lord takes over.  Then the church would once more be the church it was meant to be.  Lord, please allow it to be so, in Jesus’ name I pray.

Well, I don’t feel near as tired as I did starting this Tidbit and I have a new perspective, praise the Lord!  Nothing like the Word of God to stimulate you and change your way of thinking!!  I hope this will encourage you and give you something to think about today.  May you have a super day and may God bless you with His peace, love and joy!!

1 comment:

  1. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Remember failures are always stepping stones towards success .

    Thanks
    Mark Duin

    Inspirational Speaker

    ReplyDelete