Saturday, October 27, 2012

Servants



Do you feel that you need a pat on the back, an ‘ad-da boy’ or a word of encouragement?  I think we all need these at times, even if we won’t admit it.  There is nothing wrong with a word of encouragement, but when we have an inferiority complex or we are too sensitive, we can get hurt far too quick and far too often and want, and tend to need, much more attention than people without these problems.  There are people that get hurt if you don’t acknowledge them when you see them, and some people seem to be needier than others.  

There are people, like my wife, that don’t seem to need any of these things, she seems to walk through life doing things and helping others without looking for any reward whatsoever, if someone speaks to her, great, but if not she doesn’t seem to be affected at all.  Most of our church experience has been that people tend to know me and my name, but her they call Jerry’s wife or they just don’t mention her name at all.  We went to a church for over 25 years and the pastor called her Joan instead of Joanne or she was Jerry’s wife but it never seemed to bother her.

I am the type of person that seems to be a bit more needy; it bothers me when someone doesn’t like me or I think someone is mad at me or if I say hi to someone and they walk by and say nothing.  It seems to me I have spent most of my life trying to please others, and believe me that is impossible.  When you are the kind of person I tend to be, it is easy to get hurt and to feel that most people don’t really love you, they just put up with you or use you and take advantage of you.  I know I am confessing some personal things here, but I try to be transparent, if you would take my name before the Lord when you pray, I would appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Think of this, there are all different kinds of people in the church having differing backgrounds, that need our prayers, sound teaching and, in many cases, good counseling from Christian counselors.  I am doing better in these areas but let me ask you a question; are you affected in the area I was talking about, do you always want to be acknowledged for all the things you do?  I am not condemning you, I have been there and I just want to read some of what Jesus said to His disciples about this subject.  Most of us know that if we are believers, we have certain ministries that we have been called to do and that we have been called to serve. If we are truly serving the Lord through ministering to other people, then we won’t need any of the credit, we will honor the Lord with our service.  

Jesus said this to His disciples about serving in Luke 17:7-10, “Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come immediately and sit down to eat’? But will he not say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink’? He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.’”

When we honor the Lord by serving, we should count it a privilege, and we will, if we have the right attitude and are doing it for the right reason.  Obedience should not be thought of as something extra we do; the better way to look at it is that it is our duty.  Jesus said that the greatest among you will be the servant of all.  I don’t think the Lord thinks of us as just slaves because He has set us free and we are His children, His ambassadors and His instruments that He chooses to use to further His kingdom on earth, and with the right attitude we will accomplish that task and when people see our good works they will glorify our heavenly Father and He will receive all the glory for He is worthy. Praise be to the King of kings and the Lord of lords!!  

I hope all who read this will see this as an encouragement and not a put down; because that’s the way I meant it.  If you have this problem, I think I have given you something to think about and I hope this will help you.  May the Lord bless you and yours and have a super day!!  PS give a shout out to the Lord and thank and praise Him.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment