Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Are You Thankful



I am thankful; even though I am not the man I want to be, I thank the Lord that I am not the man I used to be.  I was watching a TV program called, “Doc,” with Billy Ray Cyrus, when I heard him make a statement that sounded something close to what I typed here and it got my attention.

As Christians we have so much to be thankful for.  When I think of my life over the years I can hardly believe the difference between then and now.  Having lived for the Lord for over 30 years, there has been quite a change in my life, which I am so thankful for.  Am I perfect?  Far from it, but compared to what my life and lifestyle was then, and what it is like now there is a big difference, but I still have a ways to go.  My speech, the way I think, the places I frequent, the things I do and the things I buy, even my appearance have been changed.  

Do I still struggle?  Yes, I do.  I think I struggle more as a believer than I did as a non-believer, at times.  Jesus never promised the Christian life would be a bowl of cherries, and I think it is more like a bowl of pits, at times, but as far as I am concerned it is the best life to live.  

When you live as a non-believer you have no hope; so many people have to live on drugs and alcohol to escape reality.  The only time they experience any joy is when they are high or when they buy something new.  Even sex that should bring fulfillment and joy from an intimate relationship is more about lust that seeks its own gratification for the moment, which has no lasting satisfaction and produces nothing more than more lust.  Many sins are pleasurable at the time but they never result in true peace and joy. The peace and joy that lasts in every situation and circumstance can only be received from the Lord.

Like I said earlier, the Christian life may seem like a bowl of pits at times, but when you are struggling the Lord’s peace and joy are always there, and also the Holy Spirit is always there, to comfort you and to empower you to get through whatever the problems are.  We never have to depend on drugs or alcohol to escape reality, no, we can look our problems and troubles in the face and tell them to move over, we are coming through with victory, praise the Lord!!  The Lord gives us His joy because He knows that His joy will be our strength.

The best way we can tell if a person is born-again is by seeing their lives changed.  The Word says this in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”  This has nothing to do with getting older and being tired of your lifestyle and changing it on your own, like many non-believers will try to convince you of.  The change that takes place is not a ‘New Year’s resolution’ or something you decide to do on your own, this change takes place from within your heart through the Holy Spirit that dwells within you.  

If you claim to be a believer but there has been no change in your life, you are just fooling yourself or just full of religion.  People can ‘talk the talk’ and even ‘look the part’ but if what they say never lines up with what they do, they are impostors, or actors, what is known as a hypocrite.  Believers are brand new people on the inside because of the work of the Holy Spirit.  We are not reformed or rehabilitated or reeducated, we are new creations in a vital relationship with Christ, our Savior and Lord.  Because of this change in our lives we should be striving for perfection, which will take a lifetime.

If you are not sure where you stand, do what Paul said to do in 2 Corinthians 13:5, “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.”

Are the Lord’s presence and power working in your life?  Are you striving to get closer to the Lord or are you growing farther away from Him?  Only you can answer these questions.  This is not something to take lightly; it may mean the difference of where you will spend eternity.  Something we all need to think carefully about and I hope that you will; don’t allow yourself to be deceived.  May God bless you and yours and have a super day!!             

No comments:

Post a Comment