Friday, October 19, 2012

Persecution Resulting In Miracles



It has been awhile since I wrote on this subject, but I was reminded of it again this morning in my private devotions, then a little later when I read my devotion on my computer it was mentioned again so I thought I would write on this subject today.

It is found in Acts 16:16-34 when Paul and Silas were in Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia.  While I was having my private devotions many years ago, I was reading this story and I felt like the Lord taught me something that I never recall hearing about before that time or since that time.  I shared this with Pastor Piedmonte at one time and he said it was biblical, even though he had never preached it that way, and if I remember right he had never heard anyone else preach it that way either.  I will explain it and let you be the judge of whether it is biblical or not, so do your homework and don’t just take my word for this or any of the other ‘Tidbits’ that I have written.  I think everyone should study the Word and not just take somebody else’s word for it, no matter who they are.  I will say this, I have never purposely led anyone into error and I hope I never do.  

Most people, when they preach or teach on this subject, emphasize the fact that after Paul and Silas were thrown into prison they were singing and praising the Lord at midnight, even in their horrible situation, which is super and very biblical.  Now let me share what I feel the Lord showed and taught me about this portion of scripture.  There were different events that led up to Paul and Silas being in Macedonia in the first place. To start out with, Paul had a vision of a man praying for him to come to Macedonia.  After Paul had seen the vision, he was sure that God had called him to go there so he and Silas were obedient and went.  While there Paul met a lady, named Lydia, who was an influential merchant whose heart the Lord opened and she became a believer and apparently her household also and they were baptized.

It says this in Acts 16:14-15, “Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul. And when she and her household were baptized, she begged us, saying, ‘If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.’ So she persuaded us.”

The next thing that happened was while they were going to pray they met a girl that had a spirit of divination.  She was a fortune-teller, which was common in the Greek and Roman culture of that day.  Day after day she followed Paul and Silas crying out, “these men are the servants of the most high God telling unto us the way of salvation.”  Paul got so grieved that he commanded the evil spirit to come out of her and she was set free.  When her masters saw that they couldn’t make any more money with her, they caught Paul and Silas and took them to the rulers and when it was all said and done the Magistrates had them whipped and put in stocks in prison.  Then at midnight they began to sing and praise the Lord, something I think Paul did often and was not something that was rare for him.  Next thing we hear about is an earthquake that shook the foundations of the prison causing the doors to open and the bands to fall of all the prisoners, including Paul and Silas.

Just think of all the miracles these two men experienced up to this point, all because they were obedient to their Lord’s call, plus something else I will tell you about, just stick with me.  But that isn’t the end of the miracles that took place.  The jailer was going to kill himself when he saw the doors to the prison open, but in the nick of time, Paul stopped him by telling him they were all there.  Next the jailer rushes in, trembling, and asks Paul and Silas, after he brought them out, this question; what must I do to be saved?  They told him and his household to believe on the Lord Jesus and they would be saved, along with other words that aren’t recorded, so the jailer and his household believed and were baptized and they all rejoiced.

Now this is what I feel like the Lord showed me.  Paul and Silas saw all these miracles because they were obedient and they were willing to suffer for the Lord.  Read these verses in 16:35-39, “And when it was day, the magistrates sent the officers, saying, ‘Let those men go.’  So the keeper of the prison reported these words to Paul, saying, ‘The magistrates have sent to let you go. Now therefore depart, and go in peace.’  But Paul said to them, ‘They have beaten us openly, uncondemned Romans, and have thrown us into prison. And now do they put us out secretly? No indeed! Let them come themselves and get us out.’ And the officers told these words to the magistrates, and they were afraid when they heard that they were Romans.  Then they came and pleaded with them and brought them out, and asked them to depart from the city.”

My first point is that Paul and Silas could have been disobedient and not gone to Macedonia in the first place, like Jonah when he was supposed to go to Nineveh and was on his way to Joppa.  My next point is that Paul and Silas were Roman citizens and they were beaten and thrown in prison without a trial and they knew it, but didn’t say anything about it.  They were willing to suffer for Christ, and look at the miracles that took place because of it.  I wonder how many of us would chose to suffer for Christ or would we have been disobedient and run like Jonah did, which as far as I know he didn’t even suffer persecution in that situation at all.

It says this in Matthew 5:10-12, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

This should give you something to think about, have a super day and God bless you and yours!!  And don’t forget to thank and praise the Lord.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment