Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Persecution



I know that many Christian’s don’t want to hear about this subject.  Many people that claim to be believers have never been persecuted for their faith.  I wonder what Paul would have thought about that.  Paul suffered so much as a believer he said in 2 Timothy 3:10-12, “But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.”  

There are many believers that probably can’t understand living in a free land where believers are not persecuted for living a Christian life.  These people pray very sincere prayers knowing that persecution is inevitable, and that they need the Lord’s help to get through another day, so when the persecution happens they will be bold and not shrink back and deny the faith.  

Have you ever heard of the underground churches in Russia where believers meet in secret and the secret police send out spies to infiltrate these meetings so they can report to the authorities who then send the secret police to these meeting to beat the people, with clubs, that are there?  I’m not sure this still happens today, but I know many believers in different places are going through heavy persecution still in our day.  I believe everyone that is a believer today, should take time every single day to lift their brothers and sisters that are going through these things before the Lord in prayer.  If you want to know more about this subject get ahold of, “The voice of the Martyrs.”  I think that is what the organization is called.

When persecution comes on the church it seems like a terrible thing and there are some negatives, but positives also, that take place because of persecution.  Some pastors start toning down their sermons and so do some teachers and people leave the church.  I read a story some time ago that took place in Russia, or Germany, to the best of my recollection, and it went something like this, keep in mind this was a long time ago when I read this so I will do the best I can telling this story with the Lord’s help.  I think this happened in an underground church.  One day when the service was going to start two men in uniforms came into the meeting with guns.  They told the people if anyone wanted to deny their faith they could leave, the others would be shot and killed.  I can’t remember how many left, but some did and when they had gone out, the two men sat down and said to the rest of the people, “we are believers and we only wanted to worship with the true believers.”  Think about it, what do you think your response would be in that situation, it could happen today?  

Let me give you some positives about persecution that I found in my footnotes in my Bible:
1. It takes our eyes off earthly rewards
2. It strips away any superficial believers
3. It strengthens the faith of those who endure
4. It serves as an example to others who follow

There are some encouraging words about this subject in Matthew 5:10-12, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the Prophets which were before you.”  These are the words that Jesus spoke to His disciples and many others that followed Him, but they are also meant for us today.  They are part of the beatitudes and all start with blessed.  

I hope this message has been an encouragement and not a discouragement.  You don’t hear many sermons on persecution these days even though it may be a reality in our near future.  I am not trying to scare anyone, just trying to give a dose of reality and prepare believers for, if or when, it comes.  Something to think about and may God bless you and have a great day!!  PS don’t forget to thank and praise the Lord today and every day.          

No comments:

Post a Comment