Friday, August 16, 2013

Treasure






I was reminded this week of the treasure that I possess.  First let me say this, there is no greater treasure than the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords and His Kingdom.  It says this in Matthew 13:44-46, “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.”

When you receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you receive His Kingdom as well, there is nothing to compare with them.  When that takes place you should be willing to give up all that you have to gain that which you can’t lose.  Jesus and His Kingdom are more precious than anything that you can name or possess.  Jesus is the greatest treasure I have, but there are other treasures I have also, which are blessings from the Lord.  

Looking at the 31st chapter of Proverbs, talking about a truly good wife, I have been extremely blessed to have what I will say is the best wife for me.  Read what it says about this virtuous woman in Proverbs 31:10-31:
“A good wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
She is like the ships of the merchant,
she brings her food from afar.
She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and tasks for her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
She girds her loins with strength
and makes her arms strong.
She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
She opens her hand to the poor,
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
She makes herself coverings;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates,
when he sits among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers girdles to the merchant.
Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household,
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.”

This woman reminds me of my wife every time I read about her.  Is my wife exactly like her?  No!  My wife doesn’t knit or sew and she has never bought a field, but I think she possesses all the other qualities the woman in Proverbs had and I am certainly blessed to have her as my wife. She is a virtuous woman and she has the fear of the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom.  She has many talents and gifts along with being a faithful help-mate, confidant and friend.  She is a super wife, mother and grandmother, going out of her way to provide for her family in every way, sacrificing her own needs to put her family first.  She has the gift of hospitality and is a great cook.  She has a very special quality about her and that is a sweet and gentle spirit.  

She also reminds me of what Peter said about wives in 1 Peter 3:1-5, “Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior. Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands.”

As far as I am concerned she has these characteristics also.  The reason I had this on my mind so strongly today is that it was our 36th wedding anniversary was Tuesday the 13th and I feel so blessed, so I thought I would share this.  I think this is what a husband should do if he has been blessed with a virtuous wife that loves him.

Something to think about, may the good Lord bless you and yours and may you have a super day!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment