Thursday, August 1, 2013

Living Water




“A strong tree always has to have a source of water.”  I was listening to 88.5 FM, the Family Life Center radio station, while I was exercising and I heard one of the ladies make that statement so I came downstairs and typed it into my computer so that I could use it today.  When I heard it I translated it in my mind as trees, and people, and how we needed the living water that Jesus told the Samaritan woman about, if we were to be strong, healthy and vibrant in the Lord.

Jesus spoke to her in John 4:10-15, “Jesus answered and said to her, ‘If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.’

The woman said to Him, ‘Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?’

Jesus answered and said to her, ‘Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.’

The woman said to Him, ‘Sir, give me this water, that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw.’”  

The woman was talking about water that nourishes the body; Jesus was talking about spiritual water that nourishes the soul that she could receive for everlasting life.  

Jesus said this in John 15:5-6, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.”

Jesus talked about trees and men in Luke 6:43-45, “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”

If you think about a great Sequoia trees, which I think are the largest trees in the world.  They may be very, very strong and very, very large and also very tall which many of them are, but if they are separated from the trunk where the roots are they will shrivel up and die because without the roots and trunk they cannot be nourished and sustained since that is where their source of water comes from.

The Word says this in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

We already read that without Jesus we can do nothing.  This tells me that unless we are built up on Jesus, we will not survive because He is where we get our nourishment from so we will shrivel up and die also.  Without the Spirit of God living within you, you are spiritually dead.

This reminds me of the story Jesus spoke of in Luke 6:46-49, “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

I also thought of this in Psalms 127:1, “Unless the Lord builds the house,
they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.”

Like I said, unless we are building our lives on Jesus and are attached to the roots of our faith, which is also Jesus, drinking that living water, we will always be thirsting again and never be spiritually quenched.  So let me ask you this; are you drinking from the spiritual water that only Jesus can give or are you forever thirsting and never being quenched?  The same invitation Jesus gave to the Samaritan woman is extended to you also.

It says this in Revelations 22:17, “And the Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.”

I think you got the message.  Let me say this, you can do nothing to earn this gift of living water but if you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe with your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved and you will receive this living water also.  Something to think about, may the good Lord bless you and yours and may you have a super day!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment