Monday, September 3, 2012

Strengths and Weaknesses



Most people have strengths and weaknesses and need to work on their weaknesses and not neglect the areas that they are stronger in.  Think about a husband and wife, when they combine their gifts together they have a better marriage.  One may be stronger in one area than the other so each one has to put away their pride and let the other one shine, so to speak at times, this will make for a better marriage.  Some people neglect their weak areas and they fall far too often.

Let me give you an example, if the wife is better at handling money than the husband she should be allowed to care for the finances.  In many marriages one person spends and the other person doesn’t, the one that doesn’t may be better at handling the money.  When my wife and I got married I bought whatever I wanted and she had no say in the matter, not that she didn’t try to talk to me about it, I just didn’t listen.  We ended up so far in debt, I didn’t think we would ever get out of debt, I felt like I was in a big hole and every time I would start climbing out I would just fall back down in.  My wife was always gifted with handling money and used it pretty wisely, she did accounting work for a few years and, if we could have sent her to school, she could have been a certified accountant.

Money is one of the area’s most people struggle with and many marriages fall apart over.  When I was committed to the Lord about two and a half years after we were married, things started to change, I started studying the Word and as time passed the Lord provided a way for us to get all our large debts paid and we felt like a large weight was taken off our backs and we were set free, praise the Lord.  As more time went on, I realized my wife was right more times than not and I learned to curb my spending somewhat. That was one of the weaknesses I had.

I have said all this to help you see that all of us have weaknesses and we need to work on these areas so that we can overcome them.  If we let our weaknesses control us and the way we live and the choices we make, there may be some disastrous consequences.  

Think of the man named Samson, his strengths and accomplishments were these:
He was a Nazarite from birth, dedicated to God.
He was the strongest man that ever lived, outside of Jesus.
He is in the faith chapter of the Bible, Hebrews 11:32.
He was born to start the deliverance of God’s people from the
Philistines.
He had the power of the Holy Spirit with him to help him perform the
acts of strengths that he accomplished.

His weaknesses were:
He violated his Nazarite vows on different occasions.
Took advice from the wrong people
He misused his gifts and abilities.

Great strengths do not make up for weaknesses.  We all have a free will and choices to make and Samson made many bad choices.  It seems that his weaknesses outweighed his strengths and they cost him his eyesight and his freedom; he found himself enslaved to the ones that he was supposed to help set God’s people free of, and in the end it cost him his life.  What a different story this would have been if he chose not to sin against the Lord and chose to keep his vows.

Like I said we have to work on our weaknesses so that we don’t wind up in a dilemma such as Samson did.  When we feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit we need to act on it and not resist, going our own way and doing our own thing.  We need to learn a lesson from Samson and make the right choices.  Something to think about and may God bless you and yours and may you have a great day!!      

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment