Monday, September 26, 2011

What Is Going On?


I read some verses this morning and they got me thinking about some things I want to share.  Why are so many Christians so insecure?  Why are so many of us trying to please others, including me, when the person we need to please is the Lord?  Why do we constantly beat ourselves up thinking that someone is mad at us or that they don‘t like us?

We judge so many situations that we really don’t know everything about.  I think part of the reason is that our security lies in people and what they think of us.  Someone looks at us in a way we don’t understand and right away we think they don’t like us.  The truth is that you will never make everyone happy and not everyone is going to like you.  Not everyone in your church, or any church for that matter, is truly a Christian and some are babes in Christ.  There are many reasons why people come to church and they are not all good ones.  Our enemy also comes to church he knows the scriptures and has been trying to distort them for years.  

It is so hard for people to be, or feel, rejected by anyone.  I have heard it said that you can say nine good things to someone and one negative thing and most people will meditate on the negative one.  It seems to me that these things were ingrained in our thinking for years and we can’t seem to shake them.  

I know in my situation I didn’t feel loved when I grew up and so I am always looking for confirmation and acceptance from others.  In the process of growing up the way I did it seemed to bring on emotional and psychological problems.  When I was truly committed and dedicated to the Lord many years ago, I was delivered from many things, praise the Lord, but these two things seemed to hang on and torment me.  I remember what I was like before I was committed to the Lord and it seemed I disliked most people, but when I think back I don’t think that was the case.  It was that I didn’t want to get close to anyone for fear of losing them.  I didn’t seem to be able to hang on to anything or anybody for very long.  I have lived that way for many years and am just lately getting a handle on it.

Some things seem to have to be spoken and confessed before the deliverance comes.  I try to be transparent about myself because anything else is phony, as far as I am concerned.  Because of the way I was raised, I felt I always needed the pat on the back and the confirmation that I was doing a good job and that people liked me.  It still bothers me when I think someone doesn’t like me, but it doesn’t seem to bother me as much as it once did.  I feel this way, if you are truly born-again, in time you will love others and if you don’t maybe you need to examine yourself to see if you are really in the faith.  

The Bible says, “You will know them by their love.”  Christians are not perfect, and each one is dealing with their own set of problems, so we need to give each one the benefit of the doubt.  When we feel like we have been snubbed or rejected by someone, whether it be a Christian or not, we need to try to sit down with the person and talk things out, we may be surprised at how many times we have misjudged people.  I have been hurt by many people in the church but I have to forgive them if I expect to be forgiven and so do you.  My response is that I choose to forgive them and ask the Lord to help me love them, and I hope this will be your response as well.

When you are in a ministry and you don’t feel appreciated remember these words in Luke 17:7-10, “When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’?  No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat.  Then you can eat later.’   And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do?  Of course not. In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”  (NLT)

I’m not saying that anyone should just be taken for granted but if you feel you are, or have been unappreciated, remember you will receive your reward from the Lord in this life and the next if you don’t give up and throw in the towel living in bitterness and unforgiveness.

The choice is up to us I hope we all make the right one.  May the Lord bless and keep you and encompass you with His presence and His peace and joy.  Have a great day!!             

No comments:

Post a Comment