Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Are You Growing?


Stagnation is a terrible place to be and I think it happens far too often.

It is easy to sit back and not get involved in anything, or cling to something that we are so used to that we get so comfortable we lose our vision and purpose and just start going through the motions.  Sometimes we need to step out in faith and get involved in something that will take us out of our comfort zone.  If we are willing to step out in faith and be obedient to the Lord, we will continue to grow in our walk with the Lord and not become stagnate.   

What is the next step in stagnation?  It is death.  Think of a body of water that is fed by a stream or a creek, it breeds life.  Think about the water you drink when it is fresh and free of impurities, it tastes good and is very good for you.  Now think about a glass of water that has set around for a month or two, you wouldn’t even drink it.

Jesus made a statement in the book of Revelations 3:14-16 saying to the church of Laodicea. “I know all the things you do that you are neither hot nor cold.  I wish you were one or the other!  But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth!”  It sounds to me like these people were starting to stagnate and Jesus wasn’t happy about their situation, and here Jesus wasn’t just talking to an individual, no, Jesus was talking about the entire church.  

If we think about water that sits for a long period of time it becomes distasteful to anyone and the same thing applies to our spiritual life.  I have heard it said that if we aren’t growing then we are falling away!  There is no middle ground where you can hang out and stagnate.  

The problem with this church was that they thought they were rich and had everything they needed, not realizing that they were wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.  This church supplied no healing for those who were sick, no refreshing for the spiritually weary.  This church was consumed with itself which happens when you get complacent and stagnant.  When you get the feeling you’ve arrived and you can sit back and relax, that should be a warning that you need to start pressing on because you are starting to stagnate.

Jesus counseled this church to buy gold from Him, the kind that was refined by fire so that they would be truly rich.  The kind of riches they had would never bring the peace, joy and purity the Lord’s riches would bring.  He also told them to buy white clothes to wear so they could cover their shameful nakedness and salve to put on their eyes so that they could see.  Buying white clothes reminds me of the verse that says, “Though your sins be as scarlet they will be white as snow.”  It also seems they were spiritually blind needing spiritual healing.  

Now read what Revelation 3:19 says: “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest and repent.”  I think this can apply to anyone that is complacent and stagnating.  In Hebrews 12:5-6 it says, “And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said, ‘My child, don’t make light of the Lord’s discipline and don’t give up when he corrects you.  For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.’”

So if you find yourself in this situation, repent and get busy growing.  The Lord loves you and He is trying to get your attention.  Listen to this next verse in Revelations 3:20 where Jesus is crying out compassionately to the church of Laodicea, “Here I am I stand at the door and knock if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with Him and He with me.”  Many people think this verse was spoken to non-believers but it was addressed to the church.  

So I rest my case, if this is you, you have a decision to make.  I hope you make the right one.  God bless you and have a great day.             

No comments:

Post a Comment