Friday, March 1, 2013

Walking




How are you walking; as wise or unwise?  If you are followers of God, walk in love as Christ also hath loved us, and has given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savor.  We as believers should walk through life imitating our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.

I knew a pastor years ago that had some boys that imitated him right down to his walk, his mannerisms and the way he dressed.  It was sort of comical to see them walk down the aisle at the church.  I haven’t seen them for years because he moved away but I wonder if they still have that same likeness to their Dad.

Many kids have a tendency to mimic their dad because they want to be like him when they grow up.  I hear a song once in a while and the words relate to what I am talking about and they go something like this.  “I want to be just like my heavenly Father because my boy wants to be just like me.”  I didn’t know that song when I was a newborn believer but I would like to say I followed that advice and showed my kids a better example when they were young, but to my shame, my flesh rose up far too often and I gave into it and at times I wasn’t a very good example.  I wanted to be like the Lord and that was my intention, but I failed far too often, but I think this should be the goal of every believing dad and mom.

Paul tells us in Ephesians 5:8-20 how we should walk as children of light, “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Therefore He says:

‘Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light.’

See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.”

If you put these things into practice you will be walking as wise people and will be pleasing to God, praise His name!

Paul relates these things as walking unwise in verses Ephesians 5:3-7, “But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.”

At one time many of us walked as unwise but we have been redeemed, bought for a price by the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Being ashamed of our former life, we now walk as children of light, not as the unwise walk as the children of darkness.  Something to think about, God bless and have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment