Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father’s Day

I heard someone mention Father’s Day last night and a thought popped into my mind. I don’t think I have related this day to our heavenly Father. I would like to say happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there and wish them a great day. I would also like to say happy Father’s Day to my heavenly Father.

Usually we give gifts to our earthly fathers and try to help them have a better day. Many families get together and spend some time with each other and try to make their dads feel special.

Have you ever wondered why they picked Sunday for Father’s Day? I tried to find out why Father’s Day is always on Sunday but I didn’t get a satisfactory answer. Is it just something else used to distract us from what Sunday’s should represent, the day that Christians worship? Something to think about, I am not against Father’s Day in any way, I am a father, but with all the other days of the week, why Sunday. It is the same with Mother’s Day, why? It may seem kind of silly to debate this, but what does our heavenly Father think? While we are celebrating our earthly father, what about our heavenly father?

The Bible says He is a jealous God, I wonder if this bothers Him. The Bible says to keep the Sabbath holy. Is that what we are doing celebrating Father’s and Mother’s Day on the day we call our Sabbath? I am not trying to start an argument or make anybody mad but has anyone else thought about this? My wife and I have set Sunday aside as the day we look at as our Sabbath and we have really tried to honor the Lord on that Day.

It seems to me that most people spend Sunday like any other day outside of going to church once or twice. Don’t mind my rambling; how is that keeping the Sabbath holy? Have you ever questioned what keeping the Sabbath holy really means? I guess that if you asked a hundred different people you would come up with many different answers. I believe it is a day of worship, a day of praise and thanksgiving and a day of rest. A day set aside for the Lord, not the world. It is a day to rejuvenate for the up-coming week. It is a day to set aside worldly pleasures and honor the Lord. If you don’t agree with me that is your choice, but please pray sincerely about it and let the Lord speak to you about it, don’t just lean on your own understanding.

I used to think Sunday was the most boring day in the world, and I don’t mean going to church, I loved that, it was between church that bothered me. But as time went on God changed my whole perspective about it and I started enjoying just spending time with the Lord, church and resting in between. I believe that God has blessed my family and me many times because of our stand on Sunday. In case you think this is legalism, which is usually the easy answer given, it is not. We do it because we choose to and not for any other reason except we know that it pleases the Lord!

Now, you are wondering if we will have Father’s day at our house? The answer is yes, but I am thankful to the Lord for putting this thought in my mind, and I will honor Him on Father’s Day and it will have a whole new meaning for me. Praise God! Have a great day and God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment