Wednesday, January 30, 2013

For The Church




Jesus had a message for the seven churches in Asia that, you might say, were criticism and rebuke, me, I think they were warnings and even encouragement to get their house in order.  Years ago when the Lord delivered me from years of depression, the Lord spoke the same words to me early one morning in my mind very loudly and distinctively, and believe me He got my attention.

It seems like none of these churches were exempt from the Lord’s loving encouragement and warnings which were to encourage all the believers to stand strong in their faith.  At the time these believers were going through heavy persecution.  Some of these believers were bailing out and I’m sure others were thinking about it.  

You might think, as Job did, when he said this in Job 13:15, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.”  But the only way we can know that for sure is to be in a severe test or some heavy persecution like Job was.  When Job made that statement he was going through two very trying tests and when they were over, Job was still faithful.  

We must be careful that we don’t say this like Peter and the other disciples did in Matthew 26:35, “Peter said to Him, ‘Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!’  And so said all the disciples.”  But when it was all said and done, Peter denied the Lord, not only once, but three times and all the other disciples scattered.  Remember talk is cheap, that is why most of us will have to endure trials and, at times, persecution so that we will either stand strong under them or give up and deny the faith.  So be careful what you say, your words may come back to bite you.

Think of this, if you are not witnessing today, in better times, how will you witness in the latter days when things will be much harder and it may cost you more than just verbal abuse.  Jesus’ warnings to the churches were to wake them up and get their attention because they were missing the mark, allowing things to take place that shouldn’t be in the church, letting them know they needed to get things in order before it was too late.  This shows the love and compassion Jesus has for His church.

These churches had various problems ranging from leaving their first love to holding to the doctrine of Balaam, some holding to the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes which things the Lord hated, others the teachings of Jezebel which led the Lord’s people into sexual immorality and yet others the Lord didn’t find their works perfected.  Some were imposters saying they were Jews but were not, and some thought they were rich, in need of nothing, not realizing how impoverished they really were and some were just plain lukewarm.  The Lord warned them about these things, plus others I’m sure, but He also encouraged them because there were also good things the Lord found taking place in these churches.

I wonder what He would warn and encourage the churches about today, what do you think?   I am not going to guess or speculate, but one thing I do know, just like the church needed to repent in those days we need to repent in our day.  Where do you find your church today and where do you find yourself in this picture?  Jesus gives us the same opportunity He gave them as He said in Revelation, “He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches.”  

Jesus also talked about repentance.  At the end of the letter to the Laodiceans, Jesus said in Revelation 3:20, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.”  Jesus does not give up on the church or the sinner, the invitation is always there for us.   

You may be burdened down with sin or weary in your search of God, or maybe you are weighed down with oppression and persecution, whatever the case is, Jesus said this in Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  There is an invitation for us to come to Him and get to know Him better.   

There is one other verse I want to put in here and it is about repentance, which we all need to do at times.  This is very important, it is in 2 Chronicles 7:14, “if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

The proud He resists but He draws close to the humble.  So, if you need to, humble yourself before the Lord and repent of your sins and seek Him.  Something to think about, have a super day and may God bless you and yours!!           

      
        

No comments:

Post a Comment