Thursday, August 30, 2012

Let’s Be Honest


Let’s talk about the Psalms today, in them we can find great insight.  David, and the others that wrote the Psalms, were very honest with what they were feeling and they told God about what they felt.  Today many believers act like they are ashamed of the way they feel at times because they don’t want to admit how they feel, fearing that other believers might look down on them or judge them, accusing them of having a lack of faith.

It is so easy to condemn others and fire out scriptures that are condemning, than to take time to listen and have compassion on them.  Many times in the church today we are told if we are sick or experiencing difficulties it is because we lack faith.  

I remember praying in my bedroom for a healing for my back problem, my asthma, my tremor and other things and while praying I heard a voice in my mind which said, “Jerry if you were to be healed of one of these things what would you want to be healed of?”  These are the exact words that I heard and I choose the asthma which I was healed instantly of, praise the Lord, and it has been verified by doctors.  My question is, if I had the faith to be healed of one thing why not all of them, is God limited in His healings?  Of course not, He just didn’t choose to at the time.

What about Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, he prayed three times and was never healed.  I am also sure that Paul prayed for his good friend, Timothy, and he wasn’t healed.  See 1 Timothy 5:23, “Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.”   We don’t know why he wasn’t healed but this wasn’t an invitation for alcoholism.  There was also a friend of Paul’s, named Trophimus, who was sick, I think Paul would have prayed for Him also, but he was not healed that I know of.

We live in a fallen world resulting in sickness and diseases and there are hindrances to prayer and they are not all lack of faith.  You can’t put God in a box; He will do what He wants to do.  As far as problems are concerned, Jesus said that we would have tribulations, and, as far as persecutions are concerned, Paul said that if you live a godly life you will be persecuted.  Someday every born-again believer will be healed and delivered but some may have to wait until they get on the other side.  

Our bodies continue to decay every day and we will all pass away from something, but we can look forward to new bodies that will never experience sickness again, praise the Lord!!  We all face problems, trouble and sickness at times and we shouldn’t be afraid to express them and seek God’s help for these things, but there will be times when it seems like God is so far away and all our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling and this may go on for a spell but hang in there, this too shall pass.

David felt like he was deserted on more than one occasion, read what David said in Psalms 13:1-4:

“O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?

Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.
Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, ‘We have defeated him!’
Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.”

Even though David started expressing his feelings at first, in the end he remembered God’s mercy, love and grace, read verses 5 and 6, his whole perspective must have changed:

“But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
I will sing to the Lord
because he is good to me.”

Jesus said that He would never leave us or forsake us and He never will.  When we go through difficulties and trials the Lord is right there with us.  So, don’t get discouraged, find trusted friends you can confide in and share with them your burdens, be honest and ask them to pray with you and don’t be afraid to tell the Lord the way you feel.  Don’t forget how good He has been to you, and if you have to, start giving Him a sacrifice of praise.  I hope this has been encouraging.  God bless and have a great day!!            

No comments:

Post a Comment