Thursday, July 12, 2012

What Is Your Purpose


What is your purpose in life?  Many people live life without a purpose, they just exist for the moment.  They go about their daily lives doing whatever they need to do and not much more.  People that have no real purpose or any perspective of what life is all about just think of ways to exist and try to be happy through some kind of entertainment, something that would give them a false reality of life and what it was all about.

When I think of the way I lived before I really committed my life to Jesus, that is the way I lived.  Life had to be a party, so to speak, because reality was too hard to bear.  Cursing, drinking and drugs were all a way to escape reality and I did it often.  I remember being sick, scared and angry most of my younger years.  Coming from a poor family I went to school in hand-me down clothes and torn shoes so needless to say I wasn’t in the in crowd.  I didn’t seem to be able to concentrate in school and had a terrible time learning until it got to the point where I hated school and could hardly wait to get out, thinking it was just a waste of time.  I don’t think I ever thought of what I would be in the future or that I would need an education to get a decent job, I guess I didn’t think I would be alive long enough to worry about it.  

I won’t bore you with a lot more details, but through the years, one of the things that I think about a lot is not being able to think about my future like so many other people that got a good education and ended up getting a good job and making something out of themselves.  That is something I guess I may never understand.  These people somehow had a plan and a purpose for living, something to strive for.  When you don’t have a purpose or plan, or some might say a vision, it seems like you are always in search of something, but you can’t seem to get a handle on it so you seem to float through life aimlessly with no real sense of reality.  

What is the purpose of life anyway, is it to just do your thing escaping reality and ignoring responsibility or just to accomplish what many call the American dream?  Will that bring you real contentment, peace and joy?  I don’t think that is the answer.  Think of this, there are entertainers, movie stars, those that are professionals at sports, there are rich and very wealthy people and people that are very popular and there are some very influential people in the world but many of these are probably the most miserable people in the world.  

There can be many answers to this question, what is your purpose?  The wisest man that I know of, outside of Jesus Himself, said it this way, “The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.  For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.”  King Solomon said this in Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 and being as wise as he was, I think he knew.

You may answer that question differently but it is important that you include the Lord in the answer because without the Creator in your life, your life will never be complete and you will never experience real peace, joy and contentment in your life or real freedom.  Think about it then come up with your own answer, may the Lord bless you and yours and have a super day!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment