Monday, December 19, 2011

The Praise Killer



I think one of the big praise killers is pride.  When a person is full of pride everything is about them and they say, “I, I, I can do it.”  Pride is something I have had a real struggle with in the past and still struggle with at times, to my shame.  Reason being is that when I put my mind to do something I will put what I call 110% into it.  I am not bragging about this but that is what I usually do.  

I made this statement at different times, “don’t ever underestimate me,” when I did some very foolish things just to prove I could do them.  Sometimes I have done things that hindered or hurt me more than they helped me just to prove I could.  There are times I still do foolish things because of this and I am not a young man anymore but instead of accepting it I want to prove that I can still do what I did years ago.  

It is hard to get older and accept your limitations, that is probably why so many older people have heart attacks and strokes.  I try to be very transparent in my tidbits because I don’t want to be a phony plus I could use your prayers.  It seems strange to me but I was watching Bonanza the other day and God used this cowboy TV show to drive this home to me.  I think if most people looked in their closet, so to speak, they would find some pride tucked away in there somewhere.  Not using this for an excuse, it is something we all need to confess and repent of.

There was a King in the Bible that had a real problem with this, his name was Nebuchadnezzar and you can read about him in the book of Daniel in the first 4 chapters.  He was a very proud king equating all his success to himself.  God made him what he was and blessed him many times over until he became well-known.  But all King Nebuchadnezzar could say is look what I have made, taking the glory from God and attributing it to himself.  Who praises or thanks God for what they think they have accomplished?

This king was warned in a vision of God’s judgment and was encouraged by Daniel to turn from his sin and do the right thing but the king didn’t heed his advice and continued in his prideful ways.  The consequences of his sin were that he was banished from his kingdom and he became like a wild animal and ate grass like the cattle, his hair grew like eagle’s feathers and his nails grew like bird’s claws.  He experienced this for 7 years before he came to his senses and acknowledged God’s complete sovereignty. Then he had no problem praising and honoring God.

The King said this in Daniel 4:34–37, ”But at the end of that period, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever; for His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation.  “All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, ‘What have You done?’  At that time my reason returned to me. And my majesty and splendor were restored to me for the glory of my kingdom, and my counselors and my nobles began seeking me out; so I was reestablished in my sovereignty, and surpassing greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride.”

God knows how to humble a person and He will if He has to.  We will be much better off if we humble ourselves before the Lord and He will draw near to us and exalt us to a better position, praise God!!  So please pray for me about this matter and if you want I will pray for you about whatever.  God bless and have a great day.  Without pride it will be much easier to praise and thank the lord.     




No comments:

Post a Comment