Saturday, February 23, 2019

A Faithful God



Question: How faithful is your god, for there are many false gods in the world today and there always has been?   People have worshiped many things, from people to things that resemble animals to the starry host of heaven and even a snake.  Remember the bronze snake that Moses made because he was commanded to by God when the Israelites complained against God and Moses, the people called the snake Nehushtan.

Please read what happened in Numbers 21:5-9, “The people spoke against God and Moses: ‘Why have you brought us from Egypt to die in the wilderness, because there is no bread, no water, and our very spirits detest the despicable food?’ So Adonai sent poisonous serpents among the people, and they bit the people and many of the people of Israel died. The people came to Moses and said, ‘We sinned when we spoke against Adonai and you! Pray to Adonai for us, that He may take away the snakes!’ So Moses prayed for the people. Adonai said to Moses, ‘Make yourself a fiery snake and put it on a pole. Whenever anyone who has been bitten will look at it, he will live.’ So Moses made a bronze snake and put it on a pole, and it happened that whenever a snake bit anyone and he looked at the bronze snake, he lived.

Please read some of what King Hezekiah did in 2 Kings 18:4, “He removed the high places, smashed the pillars and cut down the Asherah poles. He also broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made—for up to those days Bnei-Yisrael were still burning incense to it—it was called Nehushtan.”   Nehushtan means a bronze thing, a mere piece of brass.

Satan, himself is worshiped as a god.  Who did the first serpent in the Word of God represent?  Satan himself.  If you don’t know the story of Adam and Eve and the serpent, please read Genesis chapter three.  None of these that I mentioned are real gods but many have idolized them and treated them as gods, bowing down in worship to them.   There is but one true God and He is the one who created the heavens and earth in six literal days and rested on the seventh.  

I sarted this Tidbit out asking how faithful is your god?  Now I want you to consider this, when you read the Old Testament, you read how the God of the Old Testament seemed to be demanding and somewhat mean.  Now I would like you to consider this, the God of the Old Testament is the same God of the New Testament because there is only one true God and He is a God of truth and a God of grace and mercy and love and forgiveness and the God that judges righteously with compassion.  The thing that is hard for us to grasp is that He knows all things and everything about every individual from the time we are born till the time of our death; something that our finite minds can’t fully understand or comprehend.  That means He knows who is going to truly repent and follow Him and who never will.  

God being the ultimate in love, mercy and grace plus all the other attributes that He possesses, knows what needs to be done for the good of the other nations and for the Jewish people He chose from all the other peoples of the world.  We have a hard time wrapping our heads around some of the things that God does or allows to take place in the world because we don’t know the beginning from the end, only He does!!  

I can truthfully say that God is faithful, He has been faithful to me even though I at times I question it because I have a real struggle with love.  To be honest, I hear much more about love than I actually see!!  I think I agree with the person that first said these words, “I would rather see a sermon than hear one any time.”

I am going to put a few scripture verses in here that anyone could look at if they are interested in knowing about the faithfulness of God!!  

Deuteronomy 7:9, “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.”

Numbers 23:19, “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?”

Hebrews 10:23, “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.”

Jeremiah 29:11-13, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.”

Psalm 36:5, “Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.”

There are many more verses I could put down here, but I think I have said enough.  I pray that this Tidbit was an encouragement and a blessing to you!!  May the good Lord bless you and yours and may you all have a super day!!  If you haven’t yet today, I hope you will thank and praise the Lord today for He is worthy and so faithful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment