Friday, November 29, 2013

Invisible Pride




Pride that is directed in the wrong way can be self-destructive.  One of the problems with pride is when you have it you don’t seem to know it.  It is a characteristic that seems invisible to the one that has it.  I have heard it said that pride stinks and the only one that doesn’t smell it is the one that has it.

Pride is one of the seven things that God hates, read Proverbs 6:16-19,
“These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.”

Pride is usually accompanied by I, I.  For instance I don’t need anyone, or to say it another way, I am self-sufficient.  I did this, I did that and I can do whatever I put my mind to accomplish.  I can kick this habit myself, I can be anything I want to be without any help from anyone.  A person that is full of pride thinks they are better than anyone else, looking down on everyone else and usually criticizing others.  They think way too highly of themselves.  I think this is a sin that affects all of us at times.  As long as we have this sin nature within us we will be subject to this sin and if we are not careful it could strike us anytime.

Sometimes we struggle with pride in other ways like our appearance and what we look like outwardly.  For instance, I have a tremor which I have had for many years.  In my earlier years it could hardly be detected by others but as the years went by it got easier and easier to see and it is a struggle for me to accomplish anything that I have to use my hands for.  My whole body quivers or shakes at times more than other times and if I get a little cold, forget about it, I am much worse.  I have been embarrassed about this many times.  I have noticed people staring at me at times and it makes me feel like I am a freak for the world to see and laugh at and make fun of.  I think some of this falls under the sin of pride even though it is a physical problem like people with handicaps or who are obese not wanting to be seen in public.  I think all of these can be associated with pride.

What about the perfectionist that has to have everything perfect everything in its place and everything in orderly fashion?  I think that can come under the same umbrella as pride.

I don’t think all pride is sin if you keep it in the right perspective, such as winning at something or being good at something or having pride in a child that does something well.  We should all strive to be the best we can be at whatever we try to do, there is nothing wrong with that and if we do well we can have pride in a job well done.  Positive pride is a feeling of honor and self-respect, a sense of personal worth or satisfaction or pleasure taken in one's own or another's success or achievements.  Negative pride is having excessive self-esteem or conceit.

In my conclusion, read what God’s Word says in James 4:6, “But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’”  If people would realize their need for God to come along side of them and help them and that nothing can be accomplished without Him, totally trusting Him and if they would humble themselves and repent of their negative (destructive) pride and draw near to God, He will draw near to them.  If we all could just glimpse at people and gaze at the Lord and get our minds off of us, we could escape this pride issue altogether because we would see ourselves as God sees us.  I have given all of us something to think about and to act on.  God bless and have a super day!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment