Friday, May 6, 2011

The Good Shepherd

There are many people we know because of their voice. We don’t have to always see them to recognize who they are all we have to do is hear their voice.
Jesus said, "my sheep know my voice and follow me." Jesus related us, His children, to sheep.  He said to Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you." "Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him. Jesus repeated the question: "Simon son of John, do you love me?" "Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I love you." "Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said. A third time he asked him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, "Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you." Jesus said, "Then feed my sheep.

In the book of John chapter 10 Jesus claimed to be the Good Shepherd.  Sheep were far from the smartest animals in the world.  They were very stubborn and somewhat rebellious.  Does that sound familiar?  Sometimes they would run away from the flock and get themselves in some dangerous situations.  There were wild animals that would have loved to sink their teeth into a nice fat sheep that wandered away from the safety of the group.  Sheep would get stuck in the mud and they would venture into swift water and drown.

They sound somewhat like humans that like to do their own thing. What they needed was a shepherd to keep them out of trouble and to keep them safe and to provide for their needs. We need a Shepherd and a Savoir for some of the same reasons.

Way back in the Old Testament in Psalms 23 David related people to sheep also and the Lord as a Shepherd. Verse 1 says that the Lord is my shepherd I have everything I need. Then he went on to say how the Lord led him and guided him and protected and comforted him. He said the Lord’s goodness and unfailing love will pursue him all the days of his life, and he would live in the house of the Lord forever.

Back in John chapter 10 Jesus said in verse 11, "I am the good shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays His life down for the sheep." In verses 12–16 it says Jesus speaking, "The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

My question to you is, are you listening to the Lord’s voice? There are so many voices crying out to us each day, but we get so busy just trying to live life that we may not be taking time out to hear the Lord’s voice. When Jesus talked to the churches in the book of Revelations He said, "let those who have an ear listen to what the Spirit says to the churches." If you are not hearing from the Lord, let me suggest something, when you spend time with the Lord don’t do all the talking, no, just be quiet and listen and let the Lord speak to you. You may be surprised with what you hear.

I think many Christians never hear from the Lord because they are too busy running here and there and not just spending time in the presence of the Lord. In the world we live in, we are so preoccupied with our plans and what we want to do that the Lord can’t get our attention and we run into circumstances and situations that could have been avoided. And, as usual, while the Lord is helping me to type these lessons He is talking to me not just the person that reads them. We all need to take time out of our busy days to hear the voice of the Lord!

Jesus said, "my sheep know my voice," so if we don’t hear it, whose fault is it? It is our fault, so let’s take time and listen, that way we will hear when the Lord speaks, and if we are obedient, we will be blessed.

God bless you have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment