Monday, August 17, 2015

Real Christianity



I read a book recently called “Dangerous Journey” which is the story of “Pilgrims Progress” by John Bunyan written in 1676 and I would recommend that every believer read it.  As far as I am concerned, this story is a story about life and will minister to every person that will read it with an open mind who is trying to figure out why we are here and what our purpose is in life.  It is a story that includes every person that has ever lived.  I have been a believer now for some 35 years and I could truly see my life unfolding in this book.  I have heard that “Pilgrims Progress” has been printed in more languages than any other book in the world; it is truly a very popular book.

I believe that the Word of God is the most important book that you will ever read and has been the number 1 best seller for I don’t know how many years.  It is a must read for everyone that will read it with an open mind, prayerfully seeking God for the truth and the real reason why we exist.  I have also read many other books that have helped me in my Christian walk and I believe this is one of them.  This book portrays what real life, and the Christian life, are all about which isn’t all a bed of roses, as some would try to tell us that it is.  

Christianity isn’t all about being rich, wearing fancy clothes or fine jewelry, driving fancy cars and having expensive houses, no, it is about taking up your cross, denying one’s self and following Jesus.  The way some people preach they make you feel guilty if you don’t have all these things in abundance.  I am not saying that anyone that is rich is going to heaven, I know that God blesses people, but if some people were rich it would ruin their lives and God knows that better than I do.  If everyone was supposed to be rich, then why did Jesus say this in Matthew 19:16-26:
“And behold, one came up to him, saying, ‘Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?’ And he said to him, ‘Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.’ He said to him, ‘Which?’ And Jesus said, ‘You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ The young man said to him, ‘All these I have observed; what do I still lack?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’ When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.

And Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.’ When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, ‘Who then can be saved?’ But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’”

Now read what Jesus told Peter in the following verses, in verses 27-30:
“Then Peter said in reply, ‘Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. But many that are first will be last, and the last first.’”

It sounds to me like being rich would be more of a hindrance then a help for most people.  I heard that every person that has won the big lottery, it has done nothing in the end but ruin their lives.  I think we had better rethink carefully what we hear from the prosperity preachers.  

What about those that preach once you become a believer all your problems will be over?  If you never had a problem, you would never know that God could solve them.  The Christian life isn’t skating through life on cloud nine so to speak, and it is not all a bowl of cherries, sometimes it seems more like the pits, so to speak.

Jesus said this in John 16:33, “I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Jesus was telling His disciples that they would face troubles and trials but they wouldn’t face them alone.  He would be with them in spite of their struggles and He will be with us also, no matter what we face if we belong to Him.  He will help us in the battles that we face and in all the struggles of our life, praise the Lord, and we can be sure that they will come in various forms.  But just like when Jesus was victorious when He walked the earth, we can also be victorious through Christ that gives us strength. I was reminded of this two weeks ago by my pastor, Pastor Lance; that we need to stop asking, “why is this happening to me Lord,” and start asking, “Lord what are you trying to accomplish through me in this trial!!”  

If you read the book I spoke about earlier in this message, “Dangerous Journey,” you will get a better perspective of how the Christian life, and life in general, is normally lived out but don’t forget the greatest book that was ever inspired and written and that is God’s Word, the Bible.  Study it and in it you will find out how to have a new life and a personal relationship with the Lord that loves you very, very much.  I have given you something to think about!  May the good Lord bless you and yours and may you have a super, super day in spite of the trials you may face and remember the Lord is always with those who put their trust in Him, praise the Lord!!  And don’t forget to thank and praise the Lord for He is worthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment