Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sin




Repentance and sorrow, for sin brings hope.  Today it seems that many people don’t like to hear the word sin, using words like mistakes or failures.  The Word of God says that we are all sinners; that we were born in sin.  Read what it says in Romans 5:12, “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned..”

Read what David said about himself in Psalms 51:5, “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.”

God’s Word also says this in Romans 3:23, “..for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..”

Because of sin, death came into the world, but the good news is that true repentance brings forgiveness.  Read 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Now read Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  

King David knew what it was to be forgiven and he knew what it was to repent.  Read his repentant prayer in Psalms 38:1-22:
“O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your wrath,
Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure!
For Your arrows pierce me deeply,
And Your hand presses me down.

There is no soundness in my flesh
Because of Your anger,
Nor any health in my bones
Because of my sin.
For my iniquities have gone over my head;
Like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
My wounds are foul and festering
Because of my foolishness.

I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly;
I go mourning all the day long.
For my loins are full of inflammation,
And there is no soundness in my flesh.
I am feeble and severely broken;
I groan because of the turmoil of my heart.

Lord, all my desire is before You;
And my sighing is not hidden from You.
My heart pants, my strength fails me;
As for the light of my eyes, it also has gone from me.

My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague,
And my relatives stand afar off.
Those also who seek my life lay snares for me;
Those who seek my hurt speak of destruction,
And plan deception all the day long.

But I, like a deaf man, do not hear;
And I am like a mute who does not open his mouth.
Thus I am like a man who does not hear,
And in whose mouth is no response.

For in You, O Lord, I hope;
You will hear, O Lord my God.
For I said, ‘Hear me, lest they rejoice over me,
Lest, when my foot slips, they exalt themselves against me.’

For I am ready to fall,
And my sorrow is continually before me.
For I will declare my iniquity;
I will be in anguish over my sin.
But my enemies are vigorous, and they are strong;
And those who hate me wrongfully have multiplied.
Those also who render evil for good,
They are my adversaries, because I follow what is good.

Do not forsake me, O Lord;
O my God, be not far from me!
Make haste to help me,
O Lord, my salvation!”

David acknowledged that sin led to health problems and a separation from God and others causing loneliness.  Then David repented and confessed his sin and found forgiveness.  He knew that he deserved punishment, but he didn’t want God to be angry when He punished him so David sought mercy instead of God’s wrath.  When we sin there is always a consequence and also there is hope, for there is forgiveness, if we truly chose to repent.  The humble and contrite heart God will not despise, for He draws to the humble and resists the proud!!

So if you find yourself in David’s shoes, so to speak, learn from what he did; repent and ask for forgiveness while expressing your sorrow and let the promise of 1 John 1:9 happen to you.  Something to think about!  Have a super day and may the good Lord bless you and yours with His peace, love and joy!!  PS don’t forget to thank and praise the Lord!!   



    

No comments:

Post a Comment