Thursday, April 11, 2013

Powerful




I haven’t done any Tidbits lately because I was on vacation for about ten days in Virginia and only had access to laptop computers which are very difficult for me to type on because of the tremor I have, and the keys being so small.  I returned home last night so I am back and continuing to do them starting today.  By the way, I had a super time there with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter; in fact, I had a very hard time leaving.  

Today I was reminded of something and that was power and who possesses it and where it comes from.    When you think about power today you may think about the atomic bomb or the hydrogen bomb or some kind of nuclear weapon or explosive device.  Nations try to achieve super power status so they can rule over other nations through manipulation having so many of these weapons to use.  Even though all of these things are very powerful, in themselves, they are no match for the ultimate power which is the power in the Holy Spirit.

God’s Word says in Zechariah 4:6, “So he answered and said to me: ‘This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts.”  God’s power is the greatest power in the universe; nothing else can even come close.  Think about this, God spoke and the world came into existence.  

If we are Christians, we possess this power within us because our bodies become the temple of God’s Holy Spirit, it says this in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

If this is true, and it is, then why are we so fearful to speak up and proclaim the good news of the gospel? Why are we so intimidated by false teaching, to the point where we start conforming to the world and its worldly ways of looking at things?  Think about the last time you stood up to those who opposed the truth, and let your voice be heard.  There are many people that believe a lie and they are not afraid to proclaim it, are you afraid to proclaim the truth?  

God’s Word says this in 2 Timothy 1:1-14:
“Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

To Timothy, a beloved son:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.”

Paul spoke these things to Timothy thinking of him as his dearly beloved son.  Timothy traveled with Paul on some of his journeys and they spent time together.  At the time there was heavy persecution going on in the churches and Paul was in prison for his faith and for proclaiming the good news wherever he went.  Timothy was the pastor of the largest church in Ephesus, which was under persecution, and Paul was in prison, like I said earlier.  This was probably Paul’s last letter written as Paul was waiting to die.  Paul was encouraging Timothy to be faithful and to stand faithful to his calling and even persecution, if need be, and not to be ashamed of the good news which he received from his mother and grandmother and from Paul himself.  Paul knew what it was like to be abandoned by fellow workers and to be persecuted by his own fellow Jews.  It is not always easy to stand up for Jesus when your faith is being tested, but if you are called on to suffer for your faith you need to be ready and willing.  We live in a time where we need to be sharing our faith and testimony with the lost.

This is what it says in Matthew 10:28-33, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.”

Are you sharing your testimony or are you ashamed or afraid?  If you are intimidated, ask the Lord to give you the boldness to speak when the occasion arises and never shrink back.  It is the Lord’s will that we share the good news, so do your best to try to be obedient, and may the good Lord bless you and cause His light to shine upon you and give you peace, and may you have a super day!!  PS don’t forget to thank and praise the Lord.  

No comments:

Post a Comment