Monday, January 30, 2017

Indian Boy


I heard a story from Ron Hutchcraft that was supposed to be a legend that went something like this, I only heard part of the story then I read about it a couple of times, so this is my version of the story.  There was a young Indian boy that was sent out to prove his manhood.  He was out in the woods and looked up and saw the snow covered peaks of the mountains and thought he would climb up, so he did.  When he got up there he heard a noise by his feet which turned out to be a rattlesnake.  Before he could run, the snake said to him will you take me down the mountain where it is warm before I freeze to death and there is no food up here.  The boy said no you will bite me but the snake promised that he wouldn’t so the young man finally said he would.  When the boy got the snake to a warmer place he put him down and then he bit him.  The young man said you said you wouldn’t bite me and the snake while slithering off said you knew what I was.

Now let’s relate this to sin, just like the poison that came from the snake, sin is also like poison to the one who commits it unless they are not at the age of accountability, and let me make this very clear, God is against any kind of sin. Sin is a lot like cancer and it will separate you from God.  It can also cause sickness, guilt, shame and destroy marriages and relationships.  Sin will eventually destroy you and your relationship with God if you do not deal with it by repenting and confessing it to the Lord and asking His forgiveness.  The thing I find so amazing about this, is that even when we were enemies of God because of our sins He loved us so much that He wasn’t willing that any of His creation would be lost but that all would come to repentance and find forgiveness and reconciliation through Jesus Christ His beloved Son, so He patiently waits!!

Read 2 Peter 3:9, “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:14-15, “Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you.”

I think back on my life of the many times I should have been killed, if not for the love, grace, mercy and patience that God showed towards me.  I went down on a motorcycle twice, went up a telephone wire in a van and flipped it over on its side.  In my drinking and drugging days I overdosed and had what I thought was an out of body experience, where I could see two of me, one on one side of the highway and the other on the opposite side of the highway and it took me until the next day before I felt like one person again.  I had asthma for many years and was told I could die at least 5 or 6 times. I also rode chopper motorcycles for years while I was high most of the time.  Plus, I had a rifle pointed at me close enough where the guy couldn’t miss because he was very angry at me.  I also was stabbed by that same guy, trying to kill me.  Let’s face it, the Lord was very patient with me and I thank and praise Him for it!!  

What about you?  Are you ready to stop running away from God and start running towards Him?  Are you ready to truly repent by turning away from your sins?

Read what 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

There was a problem in the Corinthian church and Paul sent them a letter after they had repented and this is part of what he said and this is what their repentance produced in them.  Now read 2 Corinthians 7:10-11, “For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter.”

I hope this has been an encouragement and help to all who read it and that the Lord will use it to further His kingdom!!  My prayer is that you are ready to trust in Jesus!!  May the good Lord bless you and yours and may you all have a super, super day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment