Monday, January 9, 2012

Works



I seem to be very tired this morning even though I slept pretty good last night, I even went to bed earlier than normal.  This is one of those mornings when I feel like getting comfortable in my big chair and going to sleep for a while but I feel that I must fight that urge and get on with my day.  I am sitting here trying to think of what I should write about in my blog with nothing in mind, please help me Lord.  It seems like mornings are the time when I can focus the best and my thinking is sharper than later in the day.

Before I was a born-again Christian I did many good and kind things, helping many people on many occasions.  I went out of my way to help people, I don’t think at that time I ever refused to help anyone that needed help.  I have said all this to say this; even though I have done all these things they could never get me into heaven.  These are all good works but you don’t get to heaven by your good works.  Most other religions teach that you have to do ‘works’ to obtain heaven or whatever your goal is.  

The Word of God says this in Isaiah 64:6, “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses (works) are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.”  This is talking about what we are like before we are born-again.  There are two more verses that come to mind and that is Ephesians 2:8-9, “For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourself it is the gift of God, NOT BY WORKS so no one can boast.”  I don’t know how much clearer it can be said.

Since I have been a believer I have also done some good works.  In verse 10 of that same chapter it says, “For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  The Lord does want us to do good works after we have been saved (BORN-AGAIN) but we do them because we love and want to honor the Lord.  

Before I was born-again I did many things that I could boast about but it would all be in vain and never give me a pass to get into heaven.  There are so many people thinking they will go to heaven because they have done good things.  I am going to say something that may shock you.  Not many people did more good works than Mother Teresa, but nothing she did would give her access to heaven without her being born-again.

Think of this, if Jesus didn’t shed His blood to cleanse our sins we would never get to heaven because when the veil was rent in the temple at Jesus’ crucifixion He became the veil and unless you go through Him and are washed by His precious blood you can never get right with God, His father. There are many that would say there is more than one way to get to God but they are dead wrong, you have to go through Jesus.  Jesus said to His disciples in John 14:6, “I am the way the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”  So if you think you can get to heaven by your works or any other way except through Jesus you might as well try to catch the wind in your hand.

But, praise the Lord that is not the end of the story, there is good news. Jesus shed His blood for all, not willing that any be lost, but that all would come to repentance.  Jesus also sent the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, to convict all of sin and bring forth Godly sorrow.  So if you feel the Lord drawing you today, humble yourself before the Lord and repent, turning away from your sins and receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  Tell Him you are sorry for your sins and ask Him to forgive you and to come into your heart and life and be you Savior.  If you are sincere you will be born-again, praise the Lord.  Then find a Bible believing church and start growing in your walk with the Lord.  God bless you and have a great day.                        

No comments:

Post a Comment